Dress Code - English
SERRANO INTERMEDIATE DRESS CODE
Students must report to school in clothing that is appropriate for an educational environment, respectful to oneself and others, reflects modesty, is comfortable, clean, and in good repair. Clothing or accessories deemed to be unsafe, distracting, immodest, gang related, or offensive to the general public are not permitted. School personnel reserves the right to determine what constitutes inappropriate attire taking into consideration input from law enforcement, parents, students, and community members. The Serrano Dress Code is open to revision as fads and fashions change. Parental cooperation with the Serrano Dress Code is greatly appreciated.
- Pants/shorts must be the proper size fitting securely at the waist. Baggy, oversized clothing is not permitted.
- Belts must be worn through all belt loops and are not allowed to hang below the waist.
- Clothing shall be free of logos, words, or slogans that promote alcohol, tobacco, or drugs, or promote vandalism, bigotry, violence, suicide, death, or contain sexual connotations and/or inappropriate double meanings. Clothing must also be free of logos or symbols of weapons of any kind.
- Clothing shall not be symbolic of gang attire nor have gang logos.
- Plain white T-shirts or undershirts shall not be worn by themselves.
- Tall socks with long shorts that overlap shall not be worn.
- Gloves may not be worn while at school.
- Undergarments may not be showing or worn as clothing.
- Spiked studded accessories and other sharp objects including staples and safety pins may not be worn.
- Clothing must be free from holes and tears above the tip of the thumb when arms are at one’s side.
- Large medallions, rings, or chains (including those attached to wallets), may not be worn.
- Tank tops/shirts, spaghetti straps, cutoff tops, tube tops, halter tops, or bare midriffs are not to be worn. Sheer, low-cut, or backless tops are also not allowed. Cleavage may not be visible. Shirts and blouses that are off the shoulder or fall off the shoulder are not permitted.
- Sleeveless tops/shirts must have straps that are at least two inches wide and cover any undergarments.
- Sleeveless shirts with large arm openings may not be worn alone or with “bando” tops underneath.
- Skirts, shorts, and skorts must meet or be longer than the tip of the thumb when arms are at one’s side.
- Sleepwear, including flannel pants, shall not be worn to school.
- Shoes shall be worn at all times and must have a back-strap.
- Heels shall not exceed 1 1/2 inches.
- Steel toed shoes, flip-flops, and slippers are not allowed.
- Fishnet stockings or tights with tears/holes may not be worn.
- Students may wear sunglasses, hats, or visors for sun protection during P.E. and lunch only. They may not be worn while inside buildings, in class, or in covered areas.
- Hats and visors must be in school colors of solid blue or yellow and worn with the brim facing forward.
- Beanies, bandannas, and other headgear, with the exception of the above, shall not be worn.
- Hoods on hooded sweatshirts must remain down except when outside during inclement weather (rain).
- Radical hairstyles including Mohawks, large or long spiked hair taller than three fingers, hair dyed in extreme unnatural colors, or shaved-in designs, may not be worn.
- No visible body piercing except for the ears. Spiked earrings and ear plugs are not allowed.
- Any writing or drawings, other than the student’s name, are not permitted on backpacks.
- Any type of writing on oneself is not permitted.