National Honor Society
Mission Viejo High School National Honor Society is made up of a selective group of an approximate total of 50 juniors and seniors. NHS students represent the very best of our school and exemplify the three NHS pillars of Leadership, Academics, and Service.
Applications will be available as early as the spring semester of the 10th grade year, with membership beginning in 11th grade. Students may elect to apply during 10th or 11th grade. Selection is based on a variety of criteria, including the following:
- Candidates must have attended MVHS for at least one semester.
- Candidates must have a minimum academic grade point average of 3.6, which will be verified by the guidance office.
- Candidates must provide proof of 30 hours of strong, documented, and diverse community service.
- Candidates must present a letter of recommendation, preferably from an academic subject teacher or community leader.
- Candidates must show evidence of leadership skills and experience.
- Candidates may have no unsatisfactory marks in citizenship.
Candidates will attend a mandatory information meeting on Friday September 21st at Lunch in the Little Theater, where they will receive detailed instructions for applying for membership.
Members will be selected by majority vote of a faculty committee and will be evaluated against the current pool of applicants. Admission in this prestigious society is not guaranteed, even if the minimum criteria have been met; invitations for membership will be extended to only the most qualified of students on any given year. There is no appeals process if a candidate is declined.
Once a student has been selected for NHS, their continued membership is assumed, provided they continue to meet the membership obligations. In order to continue their membership, students must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.6, attend regular monthly meetings, participate in all society philanthropic and service activities, and perform the requisite number individual service hours. A complete list of guidelines and obligations will be provided to each member upon admission.
At graduation, MVHS National Honor Society members who successfully fulfill their membership obligations will receive a seal on their diploma and will wear a stole recognizing them as members of the Honor Society. The names of NHS members are listed in the graduation program and are announced during the graduation ceremony. Students may also benefit from various scholarship opportunities.
For further information, please contact faculty advisor Brian Tickler or the following NHS Student Board Members:
- Co-President Shelby Laitipaya
- Co-President Eric Nguyen
- Treasurer Iliana Goodhew
- Secretary Kaitlyn Menichetti