Why Mission Viejo?
Why is Mission a great school?
Mission is more than great students, great teachers, and great facilities. It’s the sum total of all three bolstered by years of a tradition of excellence in a wide range of programs. It’s having exemplary programs in Academics, Athletics, Arts, Activities, and Applied Arts.
Athletics is a source of tremendous school pride at MVHS! Our athletic programs have enjoyed unparalleled success in Orange County with highly ranked teams in the both the state and nation, many CIF championships and countless league championships.
The MVHS School Profile has many of the specific details about school accomplishments and achievement data. Here is a synopsis of why few schools can compare to the extremely high level of achievement that Mission has in so many diverse areas:
Since its opening in 1966, MVHS has been a premier high school in South Orange County, known for high academic achievement, artistic excellence and a superior athletic program. Mission is the only SVUSD high school named four times as a California Distinguished School (latest in 2009) and three times as a National Blue Ribbon School. Mission’s exemplary special programs in state of the art facilities (like the new Performing Arts complex) equip students for great accolades. Academic excellence, new technologies, and excellent teaching and coaching create an inspiring environment overflowing with “Diablo Spirit” where students flourish and “Tradition Never Graduates”. Recent highlights:
- International Baccalaureate Program is the Oldest in OC averaging over 50 Full IB Diplomas Annually Advanced Placement Program administers an average of 800 exams and averages above a 70% passing rate each year
- API of 850 is the high among OC High Schools and the highest in SVUSD Athletic Program has nationally ranked teams achieving frequent South Coast & Sea View League & CIF Championships.
- 2011 CIF Finalists in Football, Boy’s Basketball and CIF Champs in Baseball and Boy’s Lacrosse
- Marching Band, Drumline and Color Guard have consistently won Championships at both the State and National Level
- Visual and Performing Arts Programs are highly recognized: Drama, Vocal Music, Video Production, Visual Arts
- Drama is a top award winner in OC; Drama and Agriculture Teachers were both Teacher of the Year for CA
- Agriculture / FFA is an Award-Winning Program; Automotive Technology Program is among the top in OC
- Daily Tutorial provides an innovative structure to support all students in a 31-minute extra learning session
- Model United Nations is a national award-winning program; Academic Decathlon team is one of the top in OC
- Newsweek and the Washington Post have recognized MVHS as a top US high school from 2006-2011
- Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, CAL and other highly competitive colleges are regular destinations for MVHS grads
- AVID Program has a four-year sequence that prepares underrepresented students for 4-year college admission
Why Mission? Why wouldn’t you want to go to Mission? It’s a great place to learn! It’s a place “Where Tradition Never Graduates!”
It’s a place where… “EVERY DAY IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A DIABLO!”