Why Mission Viejo?
What does it mean to be a Diablo?
Diablos develop, analyze, synthesize and evaluate information and evidence. We are clear communicators. We apply creative problem solving skills in academic and personal life. We have expertise in technology use, research skills and information literacy for appropriate application in problem solving and communication. We aim to live a healthy and ethical lifestyle through positive choices that lead to physical and mental well-being. Diablos support each other and embrace diverse and global perspectives in academic, athletic, and artistic endeavors in our Mission family.
Why is Mission a great school?
Mission is more than great students, great teachers, and great facilities. It’s the sum total of all three bolstered by years of a tradition of excellence in a wide range of programs. It’s having exemplary programs in Academics, Athletics, Arts, Activities, and Applied Arts.
Athletics is a source of tremendous school pride at MVHS! Our athletic programs have enjoyed unparalleled success in Orange County with highly ranked teams in the both the state and nation, many CIF championships and countless league championships.
The MVHS School Profile has many of the specific details about school accomplishments and achievement data. Here is a synopsis of why few schools can compare to the extremely high level of achievement that Mission has in so many diverse areas:
Since its opening in 1966, MVHS has been a premier high school in South Orange County, known for high academic achievement, artistic excellence and a superior athletic program. Mission is the only SVUSD high school named four times as a California Distinguished School (latest in 2013) and three times as a National Blue Ribbon School. Mission’s exemplary special programs equip students for great accolades. Academic excellence, new technologies, and excellent teaching and coaching create an inspiring environment overflowing with “Diablo Spirit” where students flourish and “Tradition Never Graduates”. Recent highlights:
- In 1985, MVHS became the first school in Orange County to be accepted into the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program. The exam pass rate is 94% and Full Diploma candidates consistently earn the Full IB Diploma.
- Advanced Placement Program offers 17 courses and administers an average of 800 exams and encourages open access to all students.
- Newsweek and the Washington Post have recognized MVHS as a top US high school from 2021-2022
- OC Readers' Choice Award Best of 2020 Public or Charter High School
- National Exemplary School 1988
- CSR rank 8/10 is the high among OC High Schools and the highest in SVUSD Athletic Program has nationally ranked teams achieving frequent South Coast & Sea View League & CIF Championships.
- We have won extensive league championships, CIF Championships, and were the 2017 CIF State Champions in Football
- CIF and League Champs in multiple sports
- Marching Band, Drumline and Color Guard have consistently won Championships at both the State and National Level
- Visual and Performing Arts Programs are highly recognized: Drama, Vocal Music, Video Production, Visual Arts
- California Excellence in Arts Education Distinguished School 2013
- Drama is a top award winner in OC; Agriculture and Avid Teachers were both Teacher of the Year for CA
- Agriculture / FFA is an Award-Winning Program; Automotive Technology Program is among the top in OC
- Daily Tutorial provides an innovative structure to support all students in a half hour extra learning session
- Ivy League, UC, State, and Military academies as well as other highly competitive colleges are regular destinations for MVHS grads
- AVID Program has a four-year sequence that prepares underrepresented students for 4-year college admission
- CIF Title 2022 Girls Softball Champions
- Over 40 regular meeting clubs
Why Mission? It’s a great place to learn and grow! It’s a place “Where Tradition Never Graduates!”
It’s a place where… “EVERY DAY IS A GREAT DAY TO BE A DIABLO!”