Scholarships & Financial Aid

Applying for Financial Aid

FAFSA Information

All parents of students attending college in the fall should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after October 1st. Complete it as early as possible. You will need to register for a pin number to sign the FAFSA electronically. Visit the FSA ID website to apply for a pin and the Federal Student Aid website to complete the FAFSA.

Cal Grant Information

There are three kinds of CAL Grants: Cal Grant A; Cal Grant B; and Cal Grant C. Cal Grants can be used at any UC, CSU, California Community College, almost all independent colleges, and many career and technical schools in California.

To be eligible for a Cal Grant you must:

  • Submit a FAFSA application.
  • Meet minimum GPA requirements (Your GPA will automatically be submitted to the California Student Aid Commission by LHHS per Assembly Bill 2160)
  • Be a US Citizen
  • Be a California Resident
  • Have a Social Security Number
  • Attend a qualifying CALIFORNIA college
  • Have financial need based on your college costs and your EFC (Expected Family Contribution)
  • Be in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • Be enrolled at least half time

To find out more about the Cal Grant program please visit Cal Grants.


The California Dream Act Application allows students interested in attending eligible California Colleges, Universities, and Career Education Programs to apply for state financial aid. 


CSS Profile Information

If you're applying to private colleges anywhere in the United States and also applying for financial aid, fill out the CSS Profile in addition to the FAFSA. Visit the College Board website to see a list of the colleges requiring the CSS Profile as well as to apply.

Please review the other tabs within this section for additional information.

Colleges with "no loan" or "loan limit" policies

A number of colleges have developed financial aid policies that limit or eliminate student loans from financial aid packages, reducing costs for students and families. See the link below for a list of colleges (2010) that limit loans or replace loans with grants. Click on "the bottom line" and "quick summary" icons to see the best outline and compare colleges.


If you need help with the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), the financial aid department at Saddleback College has help available every Wednesday from 4-6 pm in its Career Center. Students can attend alone or with parents. Parents cannot attend without a student. This resource is available to students going to ANY college next year, whether Saddleback or not.

Financial Aid Assistance at Saddleback College (doc)

Financial Aid Information and Links

While you're looking for scholarships and other ways to fund a college education, it is important to exhaust all of the other available resources. Below you will find some links that provide valuable tips about financing your future...

How much money is my family expected to contribute to my college education?

Financial aid is intended to fill the gap between the cost of a college education and what a family is expected to contribute toward that cost. For example, if a family is expected to contribute $7,000 per year and the cost to attend the student's selected university is $35,000, the financial aid package will cover the remainging $28,000. If your expected family contribution is $7,000 and you'll be attending a community college for less than that cost, your financial aid package may be slim to none. The types of financial aid include: grants (free money), loans (money that has to be paid back), and work study (income earned through a job on campus). Use the "net cost calculator" or "net price calculator" on each college's website to ESTIMATE what your expected family contribution will be. All colleges are also supposed to have a Net Cost Calculator or Net Price Calculator on their websites. This will give you an idea of how much money from your family, savings, work, and/or scholarships that you will need to come up with in order to fund your college education. Nothing is final until your FAFSA (see below) with very detailed information is processed. The categories include grants (free money), loans (money that has to be paid back after graduation), and work study (income earned through a job on campus). Scholarships from the colleges may also be included as part of your financial aid package.

Federal Website with a Wealth of Information

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)

All Seniors should fill out the FAFSA. This form, once you fill it out completely and send it off, gives the government finance people a chance to review your financial needs and to offer you some options regarding your eligibility for different types of aid. It is an intense application that needs to be completed by your parents using their tax return information. The FAFSA can be submitted between January 2 and March 2 of your senior year. Visit the following website to get started:

If you follow all the steps related to the FAFSA, you will receive a financial aid package that will detail the financial aid for which you qualify. The categories include grants (free money), loans (money that has to be paid back), and work study (income earned through a job on campus). Grants can come from the federal government or from California. Federal grants will be included in the financial aid package based on the information included on your FAFSA.


Some private schools will require you to fill out the PROFILE in addition to the FAFSA. This is used to find financial info that is not provided on the FAFSA. The PROFILE has different due dates depending on the college so check your college/university financial aid websites to determine if this is required and when it is due. The PROFILE can be found at the following website:


Students who may possibly attend a 2 or 4 year college in California should apply for a Cal Grant. There are specific GPA/income/family size criteria to qualify but typically it covers the cost tuition to a CA public college. You must submit a "Cal Grant GPA Verification Form." Visit the following website to download the form. This form also needs to be submitted between January 2 and March 2 of your senior year. The FAFSA is required in addition to the Cal Grant form. It's an easy form that just needs a signature from someone in the guidance department so print it out and bring it in.

For other information regarding federal aid and scholarships, review these sites:

Don't forget to check the scholarship page regularly for new scholarships. They come in all shapes in sizes with varying criteria.

Financial Aid Night

LHHS Guidance will host a Financial Aid Night on Wednesday, October 24, 2018.  Please join us in the LHHS Theater at 6:30pm to hear from Katelynn Cope-  Saddleback Financial Aid Specialist.

Scholarships 2018-2019


LHHS Alumni Association Scholarships Due May 3, 2019

Any Questions?  See Mr. Van Dyke in the Guidance Office.

LHHS Alumni Association Scholarship Descriptions

Hawk Service Scholarship

Nathaniel Stewart Lynch Memorial

Sally Van Buskirk Memorial


PTSA Scholarships Due April 24, 2019

Any Questions?  See Mr. Van Dyke in the Guidance Office.

Carolyn Bohmholdt Scholarship

Creative Student Scholarship

Hawk Inspiration Scholarship

Occupational Award Scholarship

Senior of the Year Scholarship

Working Student Scholarship


LHHS Scholarships Google Doc

Scholarship Search Links