Trabuco Field Study offers an exciting science field trip for students. Our location within Trabuco Canyon provides a unique opportunity for a hands-on science adventure for every grade level, TK through 6th grade. Be inspired by our experienced teachers who have developed lessons and activities correlated to classroom science units that incorporate STEM and Next Generation Science Standards. Our innovative field study program includes hands-on science activities, guided trail hiking, and an up close visit with our live animals. Students will learn to "read the land", understand what they see, and enjoy what they have learned. Early California will come to life for students on the trail, in the classroom, and on the farm.
Located at the historic Trabuco Elementary School site in the Saddleback Valley Unified School District, we are in our 20th year. Please take a moment to explore our site for a look at what Trabuco Field Study has to offer.
Schedule a Field Trip!
Phone: (949) 858-5210
- Prior to your trip, please view the Information for Teachers section to download important forms.
Beat the Crowds!
- For optimal times, book your Trabuco Field Study trip early.
- Dress for the weather. A portion of most programs is outside unless weather conditions are extreme.
- Loose fitting pants or shorts
- Short sleeve shirt or top and a jacket or sweatshirt on cool days
- Athletic or trail shoes with socks (no sandals)
- Hats, sunscreen and sunglasses are optional
- Students should bring a sack lunch and a drink in a disposable bag.
- Water is available on campus, but students may bring a disposable water bottle marked with their name.
- When should we arrive? 15 minutes prior to the start of your tour
- What is the maximum group size? We accommodate all size groups. Contact Us.
- Can we buy food? Food is not available at the site. Bring lunches and a snack. Lunch tables and a play area are provided.
- How do we get there?
- East on Rancho Santa Margarita Parkway North on Plano Trabuco, which becomes Trabuco Canyon Road.
- North on El Toro Road. Right on Live Oak Canyon Road, which becomes Trabuco Canyon Road.
- TK: Old Trabuco Farm
- K: Kindergarten in Motion
- Grade 1: School Days
- Grade 2: Be A Field Scientist
- Grade 3: Keepers of the Earth and Sky
- Grade 4: Old Trabuco Mining Camp
- Grade 5: Inside the Earth and Beyond
- Grade 6: Science Tales
During this trip, you may:
- Join us for two exciting days to prepare for your science test.
- Discover Trabuco’s fantastic geology and geography.
- Examine pond ecosystems with microscopes.
- Create chemical reactions.
- Locate exciting elements on the Periodic Table.
- Engage in a group engineering project.
- Make circuits and electromagnets.
- Try hands-on weather experiments.