Santiago Elementary is built upon the belief of passionately developing intelligent, creative, and kind young adults in an environment that is socially, economically, and racially diverse to deliver unparalleled preparation for higher education. There is an innate commitment to lifelong artistic and scholarly development.
Santiago Elementary's Vision places an emphasis on rigor, increasing expectations, providing the needed supports, and creating opportunities for students to demonstrate their learning.
Rigor for the 21st century at Santiago Elementary School includes a focus on skills for life: critical thinking and problem solving, collaboration and leadership, agility and adaptability, initiative and entrepreneurialism, effective oral and written communication, assessing and analyzing information, and curiosity and imagination.
To increase expectations, Santiago will:
1. Say, "I believe you can" and focus on a Growth Mindset for all students.
2. Allow for adequate wait time to show we expect you to answer.
To provide the needed supports, Santiago will:
1. Provide research-based assessments in Language Arts and Mathematics to support teachers in increasing the effectiveness of their instruction and to chart growth patterns in all student.
2. Provide extra help regularly to all students in a non-threatening way.
3. Provide opportunities for review and individualized support built into the lesson.
4. Provide individual or small group instruction for students who do not master material. Ideally, this occurs during the regular school day.
To provide opportunities for each student to demonstrate learning at high levels, Santiago will:
1. Place an emphasis on when teachers ask questions, all students are asked to respond through pair/share, interactive whiteboards, or some other form of response.
2. Include tests with a wide range of types of questions, or allow students to show their understanding through creative projects.
3. Give students multiple opportunities to demonstrate understanding through reworking missed questions of a test for partial credit.
The Advancement Via Individualized Determination (AVID) Program is a key part in achieving our mission. As a certified AVID school, we support the college and career efforts of all our students.
Together we stand as a community of lifelong learners.We are Intelligent. We are Creative. We are Kind. We are Santiago Elementary.