Work Permits

What is a work permit and where can I get one?

A work permit is a legal document required by the state of California that allows a person under 18 years of age to hold a job. You may get a work permit from your local public high school. There are four steps in obtaining a work permit:

  1. Obtain a work permit application from the SVA-HS office (or the application form may be downloaded from the California State Department of Education website.
  2. Fill out the personal information at the top of the application, get your prospective employer to fill out the information required in the middle portion, and have a parent or guardian sign the bottom portion of the application.
  3. Return the completed work permit application to your high school where the work permit will be processed and typed. Your school will need 48 hours to process the Work Permit.
  4. Bring the typed work permit back to the prospective employer.

For the complete set of laws governing youth employment in the State of California, please visit the Information on Minors and Employment page. You can find a pamphlet from the State of California Department of Industrial Relations that covers definitions of minors along with wages, hours of work allowed, types of employment allowed by age, restricted and prohibited occupations, and penalties for violating these laws.

Work Permit FAQs