Concurrent College Enrollment
Concurrent college enrollment provides high school students the opportunity to take college courses while still enrolled in high school or a K-8 school. Students who successful enroll and complete the college level course may earn both college and high school credit. (Non-SVUSD college courses are allowed for elective credit only and may not replace any of the 165 specified classes for graduation.)
To view the Saddleback College Class Schedule, go to: https://www.saddleback.edu/cs
Summer 2019 Term: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 - Sunday, August 11, 2019.
Registration Opens for Summer 2019 Classes: Monday, April 29, 2019
Fall 2019 Term: Monday, August 19, 2019 - Wednesday, December 18, 2019
Registration Opens for Fall 2019 Classes: June 25, 2019 - June 26, 2019
Enrolling in a class at SCC is a great opportunity for high school students.
Students who complete (transferable classes) can earn college credit for Cal State and University of California Universities.
Students who successfully complete the college level course earn high school credit.
1-2 college semester units = 5 high high school units
3-5 college semester units = 10 high school units (see exception below)
Exception: Language courses (other than English) at the community college earning 4 or 5 college semester units will be equivalent to 20 high school credits.
Students who begin their college transcript help to distinguish themselves on their college applications.
Courses at California Community Colleges are free for high school students.
Enrolling in a community college course provides the student with a preview of the college experience. In fact, research shows that students who take classes at a community college while in high school complete their four year college degrees one year faster than those who did not dual-enroll.
Students can take classes that interest them. For example: History of Rock, Automotive Fundamentals, History of Dance, Mat Pilates, Real Estate Principles, Fashion Design, Trigonometry, Interior Design, Architecture, Engineering.
Students must complete the following steps to enroll:
- Complete the online application for Saddleback College or Irvine Valley College:
- Complete the Saddleback College online application or the Irvine Valley College application.
- You will be asked to create a username and password. After you apply you will receive an email with your student ID. (IMPORTANT – write down your username, password, student ID number, and PIN, you will need this information to complete the registration process.)
- Complete the K-12 Admission Request Form and the Request for High School Credit for Concurrent Enrollment.
- Identify which course you would like to take, sign the forms, and have your parent sign the form.
- Have Mr. Giokaris sign and place the school seal on the forms.
- Submit the K-12 Admission Request Form to the community college.
- Submit the Request for High School Credit to Mr. Giokaris.
- Register for the course on MySite:
- You will need your username, college student ID number, four-digit PIN number to register, and "ticket number". (You will receive your ticket number from the community college AFTER you have submitted the K-12 Admission Request Form.)
- For additional help to register, follow these registration directions.
- Purchase the required textbook.
- Attend the course.