Alternative Routes

For a variety of reasons some students need to take alternative routes to earn their high school diploma or high school equivalency.  Below are several alternative routes students can take to earn their diploma. 

High School Credit Recovery

High School Credit Recovery provides evening classes for students to retake classes towards the completion of their high school graduation requirements.  Classes vary each semester. For a list of currently available classes go to the SVUSD High School Credit Recovery webpage. 

How to Register

A registration form can be obtained from the SVA-HS office and must be signed by Mr. Giokaris.  High school students must register in person at the SVUSD Credit Recovery Office located in the portable buildings to the right of the Edu Cafe. 

Eligibility for High School Students

All 9th – 12th grade students may enroll an obtain high school credit. Registration is on a first-come/first served basis.

  • 9th – 11th graders must be taking at least 6 periods at their comprehensive high school. Twelfth grade students must be taking at least 5 periods at their comprehensive high school.
  • Continuation high school students must be enrolled in a full schedule.
  • A registration form can be obtained from the high school guidance office (or printed from the website) and must be signed by high school guidance staff. High school students must register in person.
  • 11th and 12th graders will be given first priority for registration.
Credit Assignment for High School Students
  • High school students may take 8 or 15 week classes, in-person or online to either make-up credits or take additional electives. The 8 week classes are for electives only.
    • To earn 5.0 credits students must attend class a minimum of 45 hours (15-week classes).
    • To earn 2.5 credits students must attend class a minimum of 24 hours (8-week classes).
Attendance Policy
  • Students will be automatically dropped from class after three hours of absence regardless of any reason or “makeup” time.
  • Missing or late assignments from online classes are equivalent to class absence time and result in being dropped from the class.
  • All absence time and online assignments must be made up prior to the next class meeting in order to remain in the class and to receive credit.

High School Equivalency Tests

California has approved the use of three high school equivalency tests (GED®, HiSET®, and TASC™) for students 18 years old and older, and 17 years old in some instances, for the purpose of receiving a California High School Equivalency Certificate.  The most commonly known of the tests is the General Education Development (GED).  For more information, go to the GED website or the California Department of Education website. 

California High School Equivalency Test Requirements

To obtain an official California High School Equivalency Certificate test takers must meet all of the following State requirements:

  • You have not completed high school.
  • You are a California resident or a member of the armed services assigned to duty in the state of California.
  • You have passed all portions of a High School Equivalency (HSE) Test that has been approved by the State Board of Education taken at a testing center that has been approved by California Department of Education. 

Test takers must also meet one of the following requirements:

  1. You are 18 years of age or within 60 days of your 18th birthday.
  2. You are within 60 days of when you would have graduated from high school had you remained in school and completed the usual courses required for graduation.
  3. You are 17 years of age, have been out of school for at least 60 consecutive days and provide a letter of request from the military, a post-secondary educational institution, or employer that states the need for you to take a HSE Test.
  4. You are at least 17 years of age, have accumulated fewer than 100 units of high school credit and are confined to state or county hospital or correctional agency and you meet all of the following criteria:
    • You do not have a realistic chance of completing the requirements for a high school diploma.
    • You have adequate academic skills to successfully complete the HSE Test.
    • You understand the options available regarding acquisition of a high school diploma, the High School Equivalency Certificate, or the High School Proficiency Certificate and the requirements, expectations, benefits, and limitations of each option.
    • You have sufficient time left to complete the entire HSE Test while confined; however, if released before the test is completed, you may complete testing at an authorized testing center.

California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE)

A Certificate of Proficiency by the State Board of Education is given to those who pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE). The CHSPE assesses proficiency in basic reading, writing, and math skills.  A person may take the CHSPE if he or she is at least 16 years old, or he or she has been enrolled in the tenth grade for one academic year or longer, or he or she will complete one academic year of enrollment in the tenth grade at the end of the semester during which the CHSPE regular administration (i.e. spring or fall) will be conducted.

The California State Board of Education awards each person who passes the exam a Certificate of Proficiency which is equivalent, by California law, to a high school diploma.  The CHSPE may not be recognized outside of California nor by the military. 

The award of the certificate will be entered on the recipient's official transcripts but does not qualify a student for participation in a graduation ceremony of an SVUSD High School. Students who pass the exam and are 16 years of age or older may be exempted from attending school provided they have verified parent permission. Students who have left school via the CHSPE program have a right to re-enroll in their resident public high school.

While the UC and CSU recognize the CHSPE as the equivalent of a high school diploma, to be eligible for admission, applicants must also have successfully completed the full set of required high school course requirements and standardized admission tests. See for complete admission requirements for California public colleges and universities.

For more information go to: 

Adult Education

For students who did not complete all the required units to graduate while in high school, adult schools offer free or low-cost classes for adults 18 and older. Students can earn a high school diploma or take classes to build skills necessary for the workforce. To find a local adult education program go to the: Directory of Adult Education Programs

Below are several local adult education programs with links to the webpage where students learn more about earning a high school diploma through adult education. 

Saddleback Community College Adult Education (in partnership with the Orange County Department of Education). 

Santa Ana City College Adult Education

Santiago Canyon College Adult Education

College and Career Preparatory Academy

For students who did not complete all the required units to graduate while in high school, The College and Career Preparatory Academy offers students, age 18-25, a free, individualized program to earn a high school diploma.  Students will also receive career guidance and support transitioning to college or the workforce. 

A major focus of the program is to develop an Individualized Education Career Service Plan (IESCP) for students which would allow them to attain the credits needed to graduate and continue their education in career pathways through college enrollment and vocational training opportunities. Identifying the individual needs of a student through an IECSP and transcript review allows teachers to differentiate the curriculum to support the specific needs of each student. 

Download this College and Career Preparatory Academy HERE.