Career Resources

Resources for Careers – Planning Your Future

Interest Surveys and Career Guides – What Career is Right for Me?

Financial Aid

Check with the financial aid office of the school you are going to attend for additional financial aid assistance.

  • I Can Afford College - Comprehensive site from the California Community Colleges about how to finance your education
  • FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid (no fees)

Finding Training/Education

Career Unit Lesson

Silverado 333 Career Unit Lesson Plans

Web links:

Find a Community College with the major or career program you want


What are the requirements for graduation? How many credits do I need and in what subjects?

The requirements for graduation from Silverado are the same as for all SVUSD high schools: 220 total credits (165 required credits; 55 elective credits); a minimum grade point average of 1.75; minimum of 8 hours of community service.

How can I find community service work to satisfy the 8 hour requirement for graduation?

These volunteer hours (non-paid) must be with a non-profit community organization that benefits the community in some way, such as a city-run community fair, a food pantry, environmental clean-up efforts, or through a service organization like the boy scouts or girl scouts. To find community service opportunities, see the community service web page on our site or the bulletin board across from the guidance office.

How can I request my high school transcript from Mira Monte High School?

All requests for records are handled by our records clerk, Ms. Pattie Gunter. She is on campus from 7:30a.m. - 2:30p.m. Monday - Friday. Click here for a transcript request for Silverado or Mira Monte HS. Please allow 48 hours for the request to be processed. Please note: If you are an SVUSD Adult Education graduate, you must contact the Adult Ed office to request your transcript at (949) 837-8830.

Will there be summer school classes this summer and how do I sign up?

Summer school information will posted on the SVUSD website (click here).

Freshman Advantage Program

Freshman Advantage Program

Community College Registration

The Freshman Advantage Program is designed for high school seniors planning to attend Saddleback College. This program offers students the opportunity to apply early, receive an early registration time, and enroll in classes BEFORE the majority of continuing students.

The earlier you complete the application, the sooner you can start and complete the matriculation process.

The Matriculation Process must be completed in order to participate in Freshman Advantage.

What is Marticulation?

Matriculation consists of Online Orientation, Math, English and Reading placement tests, and student advisement including a First Semester Plan.

Fast Fridays

Saddleback College will hold Fast Fridays, a half-day program where students can complete the Matriculation Process, tour the college, and receive financial aid information. Highly recommended!


Graduation Requirements

To receive a diploma from SVUSD, a student must:

  • Earn a minimum of a 1.75 total G.P.A.
  • Complete 220 units of coursework (165 required units; 55 elective credits):






40 units


5 units


30 units

Physical Education

20 units


30 units

Foreign Language, Fine Arts, or Applied Arts/Technical Arts

10 units

Social Science

30 units

  • The 30 credits of mathematics must include the content of the SVUSD Algebra 1 course (one year of Algebra 1 or two years of Algebra 1A and 1B). Students who complete Algebra 1 in intermediate school with an "A" or "B" will have met the one year of the high school math graduation requirement and must complete an additional 20 credits of advanced math at the high school level. Students completing Geometry Honors in intermediate school must complete at least 20 credits of math at the high school level. No high school credits will be granted for completing Algebra 1 or Geometry in intermediate school. Students receiving a "C" or lower in advanced math in intermediate school will need to repeat the class the following year.
  • Students must enroll in two semesters of Physical Education in 9th grade. If a student meets the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) "Healthy Fitness Zone" (HFZ) proficiency level in 9th grade, the student may elect to take the remaining two semesters in either 10th, 11th, or 12th grade. Students who do not meet the PFT HFZ performance level in 9th grade must take PE in 10th grade. No student will receive credit for more than 8 semesters of Physical Education.Demonstrate grade level writing proficiency on a district benchmark activity (CAHSEE writing sample or District Portfolio), given first in the 10th grade.
  • Submit verification of a minimum of eight hours of community service or equivalent project to be completed during grades 9 - 12.

Students transferring into the district from an accredited high school shall receive appropriate academic credit for previously completed courses when the sending district verifies that the student has satisfactorily completed those courses. The District will evaluate all coursework and credits granted by the accredited high school and make an individual determination on how those credits will be applied to the District's graduation requirements. Students transferring into the District from a non-accredited school will not receive credit for work done at that institution. An "accredited" school is one that has received accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) or one of the five regional associations that accredit public and private schools, colleges and universities in the United States, or in the case of a school outside of the United States, by the equivalent governmental accrediting agency in that jurisdiction. (Board Policy 6146.3)

To participate in a high school graduation ceremony and receive a high school diploma, a student must have completed all graduation requirements prior to the ceremony.


Transfers to Comprehensive High Schools

Transfers to the comprehensive high schools from Silverado or Mira Monte occur only at the beginning of the school year or at the beginning of second semester. If you would like to try to transfer, you should speak the Ms. Dunn-McDermaid as early as possible to make a plan that will allow you to fulfill all the requirements to go back.

Mental Health Resources

Local Health Resources

If you are struggling or know someone who is struggling, please consider the following resources: