Guidance Staff

Contact Info
Hours & Location
Michelle Dunn-McDermaid, Counselor

Phone: (949) 586-8800 (ext. 2)

Monday - Friday, 7:30 - 4:30,
Main Administration Building at Silverado

Ellen Phillips,
ROP Career Specialist, GEARS Coordinator, Library

Phone: (949) 586-8800 (ext. 4)

Monday - Friday,
8:00 - 4:00,
Media Center (across quad from Silverado administration office)
Lori Kirsch,
Records Clerk

Phone: (949) 586-8800 (ext. 3)

Monday - Friday,
7:30 - 2:30,
Main Administration Building at Silverado

Educational Links


What are the requirements for graduation? How many credits do I need and in what subjects?
The requirements for graduation from Silverado are the same as for all SVUSD high schools:

  • 220 total credits (165 required credits; 55 elective credits);
  • a minimum grade point average of 1.75;
  • minimum of 8 hours of community service;
  • passing the CAHSEE exam.

How can I find community service work to satisfy the 8 hour requirement for graduation?
These volunteer hours (non-paid) must be with a non-profit community organization that benefits the community in some way, such as a city-run community fair, a food pantry, environmental clean-up efforts, or through a service organization like the boy scouts or girl scouts. To find community service opportunities, view the bulletin board across from the guidance office or visit Silverado's Community Service webpage.

How can I request my high school transcript from Mira Monte High School?
All requests for records are handled by our records clerk, Ms. Pattie Gunter. She is on campus from 7:30a.m. - 2:30p.m. Monday - Friday. Click here for a transcript request for Silverado or Mira Monte HS. Please allow 48 hours for the request to be processed. Please note: If you are an SVUSD Adult Education graduate, you must contact the Adult Ed office to request your transcript at (949) 837-8830.

Will there be summer school classes this summer and how do I sign up?
Summer school information will posted on the SVUSD website.

SVUSD Graduation Requirements

To receive a diploma from SVUSD, a student must:

  • Earn a minimum of a 1.75 total G.P.A.
  • Complete 220 units of coursework (165 required units; 55 elective credits):






40 units


5 units


30 units

Physical Education

20 units


30 units

Foreign Language, Fine Arts, or Applied Arts/Technical Arts

10 units

Social Science

30 units

      • The 30 credits of mathematics must include the content of the SVUSD Algebra 1 course (one year of Algebra 1 or two years of Algebra 1A and 1B). Students who complete Algebra 1 in intermediate school with an "A" or "B" will have met the one year of the high school math graduation requirement and must complete an additional 20 credits of advanced math at the high school level. Students completing Geometry Honors in intermediate school must complete at least 20 credits of math at the high school level. No high school credits will be granted for completing Algebra 1 or Geometry in intermediate school. Students receiving a "C" or lower in advanced math in intermediate school will need to repeat the class the following year.
      • Students must enroll in two semesters of Physical Education in 9th grade. If a student meets the Physical Fitness Test (PFT) "Healthy Fitness Zone" (HFZ) proficiency level in 9th grade, the student may elect to take the remaining two semesters in either 10th, 11th, or 12th grade. Students who do not meet the PFT HFZ performance level in 9th grade must take PE in 10th grade. No student will receive credit for more than 8 semesters of Physical Education.Demonstrate grade level writing proficiency on a district benchmark activity (CAHSEE writing sample or District Portfolio), given first in the 10th grade.
  • Submit verification of a minimum of eight hours of community service or equivalent project to be completed during grades 9 - 12.
  • Successfully pass both sections (English Language Arts and Mathematics) of the California High School Exit Examinations (CAHSEE) with a score of 350 or higher. This is first given in 10th grade. There is also an opportunity for all students who have not passed one or both parts of the CAHSEE by the end of Grade 12 to receive intensive instruction and services for up to two years.

Students transferring into the district from an accredited high school shall receive appropriate academic credit for previously completed courses when the sending district verifies that the student has satisfactorily completed those courses. The District will evaluate all coursework and credits granted by the accredited high school and make an individual determination on how those credits will be applied to the District's graduation requirements. Students transferring into the District from a non-accredited school will not receive credit for work done at that institution. An "accredited" school is one that has received accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) or one of the five regional associations that accredit public and private schools, colleges and universities in the United States, or in the case of a school outside of the United States, by the equivalent governmental accrediting agency in that jurisdiction. (Board Policy 6146.3)

To participate in a high school graduation ceremony and receive a high school diploma, a student must have completed all graduation requirements prior to the ceremony.

High School Planning Guide: Information in the guide includes, but is not limited to: graduation requirements, a-g (4 year college eligibility requirements), various 4 year college systems (CSU, UC, private/independent schools) community college information, and career planning resources.