Mission Viejo High School - Facility Needs Assessment and Plan
About Mission Viejo
Mission Viejo High School is located in the city of Mission Viejo, educating students 9th through 12th grade. The school opened its doors in 1966. It is Mission Viejo High School’s mission to develop students’ highest potential within a rigorous and relevant, standards-based instructional program while fostering a balanced and healthy lifestyle that engages and supports all students. It is their vision that Mission Viejo High School graduates will be innovative, critical thinkers who collaborate effectively, contribute meaningfully and compete successfully in the global community. As a strategic organization, they will analyze shareholder input and multiple sources of data to drive decision-making, establish goals, and execute action plans that will affect school-wide improvement.
Mission Viejo High School has been a premier high school in South Orange County, known for high academic achievement, artistic excellence and a superior athletic program. Mission is the only SVUSD high school named four times as a California Distinguished School (latest in 2013) and three times as a National Blue Ribbon School. Mission’s exemplary special programs in state of the art facilities (like the new Performing Arts complex) equip students for great accolades. Academic excellence, new technologies, and excellent teaching and coaching create an inspiring environment overflowing with “Diablo Spirit” where students flourish and “Tradition Never Graduates." Recent highlights:
- International Baccalaureate Program is the Oldest in OC averaging over 50 Full IB Diplomas Annually Advanced Placement Program administers an average of 800 exams and averages above a 70% passing rate each year
- API of 850 is the high among OC High Schools and the highest in SVUSD Athletic Program has nationally ranked teams achieving frequent South Coast & Sea View League & CIF Championships.
- 2011 CIF Finalists in Football, Boy’s Basketball and CIF Champs in Baseball and Boy’s Lacrosse
- Marching Band, Drumline and Color Guard have consistently won Championships at both the State and National Level
- Visual and Performing Arts Programs are highly recognized: Drama, Vocal Music, Video Production, Visual Arts
- Drama is a top award winner in OC; Drama and Agriculture Teachers were both Teacher of the Year for CA
- Agriculture / FFA is an Award-Winning Program; Automotive Technology Program is among the top in OC
- Daily Tutorial provides an innovative structure to support all students in a 31-minute extra learning session
- Model United Nations is a national award-winning program; Academic Decathlon team is one of the top in OC
- Newsweek and the Washington Post have recognized MVHS as a top US high school from 2006-2011
- Harvard, Stanford, UCLA, CAL and other highly competitive colleges are regular destinations for MVHS grads
- AVID Program has a four-year sequence that prepares underrepresented students for 4-year college admission