Saddleback Valley Unified School District

Saddleback Mountains overlooking RSM Lake

School Choice Intra-District Transfer

The Elementary (incoming Kindergarten-6th grade) School Choice application window will open March 4, 2019.  This process is for SVUSD residents who want to transfer their student in the 2019-2020 school year to another school within SVUSD.

You can apply online with the link below March 4, 2019 through March 29, 2019. The application will close at 4:30 p.m. on March 29, 2019.

The School Choice Intra-District Transfer application process and timeline for the 2019-2020 school year are as follows:

Grade Level
Application Dates 
Submit Application by 4:30 PM
Status Letters Sent
Schools with Limited Space or Closed to School Choice


Entering Grades 7-12

January 7, 2019
February 14, 2019


February 14, 2019

March 18, 2019


La Paz Intermediate (limited space)



Entering Grades K-6

March 4, 2019

March 29, 2019

March 29, 2019 May 13, 2019

Foothill Ranch Elementary will only accept siblings

Lake Forest Elementary will only accept siblings



School Choice Intra-District Transfer only applies to students who live within the Saddleback Valley Unified School District attendance boundaries. If you live outside of the SVUSD you will need to apply for an Inter-District Transfer from your resident district. Requests for placement will not be done on a first-come, first-serve basis, instead will be approved using an unbiased random selection process and only if space is available at the school requested.

Note: This is the only process in which to request a transfer from your school of residence.

Please complete one application per student.

  • Students may request a 1st and 2nd choice of schools.
  • Once the application is approved the choice school will become your school of resident throughout the level, K-6, 7-8, 9-12. The district is unable to hold a space for your student at more than one school. Please give this consideration before submitting a School Choice Intra-District Transfer application.
  • IF YOUR STUDENT IS NOT CURRENTLY ATTENDING SCHOOL IN SVUSD you will need to attach a current electric, gas, water bill or a rental/mortgage statement which clearly indicates your current address. (Your application will not be processed without this.)
  • Secondary (entering grades 7-12) Notification: Status letters will be mailed home on March 18, 2019. Secondary applications will be approved or denied. No waitlist will be established.
  • Elementary (entering grades K-6) Notification: Status letters will be mailed home on May 13, 2019. Elementary applications will be approved or denied. No waitlist will be established.

If you  have further questions you may email us at or call us at 949-580-3400


Frequently Asked Questions

1. My child is in 9th grade at X school. X school is not our resident school any longer, can my child stay at X school for 10th grade?

Yes, you need to fill out a residence verification form at X school and show proof of residency.

2. I was approved this year (for the 18-19 school year) for my child to attend X school. Do I need to reapply again for the 19-20 school year?

No. Once approved through School Choice, your child can remain at that school through the level, ex. (K-6).

3. Our 3rd grade student attends X school through the School Choice process, we now have an incoming Kindergarten student, do they need to apply for School Choice at School X?

Yes, you will need to submit an application for School X for your incoming Kindergarten.

4. My children attend X School but we just moved into Y school attendance area. Do we need to apply through the school choice process to remain at X School?

No, in your case, you would need to fill out a Residence Verification Form. You can get a form at your school's office.

5. We have been attending X School, but now we live in the Capistrano Unified School District boundaries. Do we apply through School Choice to remain at X school?

No. Since you live outside of the SVUSD boundaries, the School Choice Intra District Transfer process does not apply to you. You will need to contact Capistrano Unified School District and request an INTER district transfer application.

6. We did not get our 1st Choice approved, however we were approved for our 2nd Choice school. Can we change our mind and stay at our resident school?

No, once you are approved to your choice school, you must stay there for the entire 19-20 school year. Please consider this PRIOR to submitting your application.

7. If my child is placed at X school in an Special Day Class (SDC) class but will be exited from the program next year, can my child automatically remain at X school?

No. You will need to submit a School Choice Intra District Application. If you do not submit an application your child must return to their resident school.