Saddleback Valley Unified School District

Saddleback Mountains overlooking RSM Lake

Work Permits

General Work Permit Information 

A work permit is a legal document required by the state of California. You may get an application for a work permit from your high school or the district office or download an application.

Important Reminders:

  • Work Permit Applications must be signed by the employer.
  • A parent or guardian must also sign the application.
  • A social security number is required to process a work permit.
  • Students need to bring the completed application along with their ID (Driver’s License, Passport, or copy of Birth Certificate).
  • The completed “official” work permit is signed by the student and taken to his/her employer.
  • Each new job requires a new work permit.
  • There is no minimum GPA required for summer work permits.  
  • All summer work permits will expire September 1st, 2019 after the beginning of the start of school.

PLEASE NOTE: All student work permits will expire on Saturday, September 1, 2019. Students may renew their expired work permits, if they plan on continuing to work during the school year, on or after the first day of school, Monday, August 26th in the Career Center.

At what age can I get a work permit?

Minors ages 12 through 17 are required to get work permits before starting a job. A minor under the age of 12 cannot receive a work permit except in the entertainment industry. There are a few exceptions to these rules. No work permit is required for the following jobs: (1) certain agricultural industry jobs, (2) odd jobs in private homes such as gardening and babysitting, (3) newspaper delivery jobs, and (4) self-employment.  

Entertainment Work Permits

Movie Icon

Entertainment Work Permits will not be issued during the summer.

Procedure for obtaining an “Entertainment Permit” in the summer:

  • Download a work permit application.
  • During summer, the “school record” section is left blank. Attach a copy of the minor’s recent report card. Send completed application, including a self-addressed, stamped envelope to:

Division of Labor Standards, Entertainment Work Permits
6150 Van Nuys Blvd. Room 100
Van Nuys, CA 91401