School Choice Intra-District Transfer
The secondary (7th - 12th grade) School Choice application window will open January 8, 2018. This process is for SVUSD residents who want to transfer their student in the 18-19 school year to another school within SVUSD.
The online application link will be available January 8, 2018.
The School Choice Intra-District Transfer application process and timeline for the 2018-2019 school year are as follows:
Submit Application by 4:30 p.m.
Status Letters Sent
Entering Grades 7-12
January 8, 2018
February 9, 2018
March 8, 2018
Entering Grades K-6
March 5, 2018
March 30, 2018
May 1, 2018
Paper Applications must be hand carried or postmarked to SVUSD Office by 4:30 p.m. on
- February 9, 2018 for Secondary students (entering grades 7-12)
- March 30, 2018 for Elementary students (entering grades K-6)
SVUSD, 25631 Peter A. Hartman Way, Mission Viejo, CA 92691
School Choice Intra-District Transfer only applies to students who live within the Saddleback Valley Unified School District attendance boundaries. If you live outside of the SVUSD you will need to apply for an Inter-District Transfer from your resident district. Requests for placement will not be done on a first-come, first-serve basis, instead will be approved using an unbiased random selection process and only if space is available at the school requested.
Note: This is the only process in which to request a transfer from your school of residence. There are no longer separate School Choice and Intra-District Transfer processes or Special Program transfers.
Please complete one application per student.
- Students may request a 1st and 2nd choice of schools.
- Once the application is approved the choice school will become your school of resident throughout the level, K-6, 7-8, 9-12. The district is unable to hold a space for your student at more than one school. Please give this consideration before submitting a School Choice Intra-District Transfer application.
- Attach a current electric, gas, water bill or a rental/mortgage statement which clearly indicates your current address. (NO application will be processed without this.)
- Return completed application to the district office on or before the due date of February 9, 2018 for Secondary students (entering grades 7-12.)
- Return completed application to the district office on or before the due date of March 30, 2018 for Elementary students (entering grades K-6.)
- NO LATE APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Secondary (entering grades 7-12) Notification: Status letters will be mailed home on March 8, 2018. Secondary applications will be approved or denied. No waitlist will be established.
- Elementary (entering grades K-6) Notification: Status letters will be mailed home on May 1, 2018. Elementary applications will be approved or denied. No waitlist will be established.
- 1. My child is in 9th grade at X school. X school is not our resident school any longer, can my child stay at X school for 10th grade?
- 2. I was approved this year (for the 17-18 school year) for my child to attend X school. Do I need to reapply again for the 18-19 school year?
- 3. Our 3rd grade student attends X school through the School Choice process, we now have an incoming Kindergarten student, do they need to apply for School Choice at School X?
- 4. My children attend X School but we just moved into Y school attendance area. Do we need to apply through the school choice process to remain at X School?
- 5. We have been attending X School, but now we live in the Capistrano Unified School District boundaries. Do we apply through School Choice to remain at X school?
- 6. We did not get our 1st Choice approved, however we were approved for our 2nd Choice school. Can we change our mind and stay at our resident school?
- 7. If my child is placed at X school in an Special Day Class (SDC) class but will be exited from the program next year, can my child automatically remain at X school?