Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) K-12
Advancement Via Individual Determination is an internationally-recognized system that helps students achieve their college dreams.
AVID Students research colleges to find those that are a good fit for them--academically, socially, and financially. They are successful in honors and AP coursework. They build life-long friendships and develop strong support systems. Each AVID student receives individualized college and career guidance as they select high school courses and apply to college.
AVID is a college readiness system designed to increase the number of students who enroll and succeed in higher education and beyond. AVID transforms the instruction, systems, leadership and culture of an entire school by having students enroll in the AVID Elective class taught by AVID-trained teachers.
AVID motivates students and provides the skills and confidence for students to reach their goals. In the AVID elective course, students learn organizational and study skills, cultivate critical thinking skills, understand the importance of asking probing questions, get academic help from college students and peers using the tutorial method, and participate in enriching and encouraging activities that makes college attainable.
Almost all AVID students who participate for at least three years are accepted to college, with roughly three quarters getting into four-year universities.
- AVID Elective during the school day
- Voluntary participation by students and staff
- Enrolling in rigorous curriculum
- Instruction promoting organizational skills and academic self-management
- Curriculum with strong emphasis on writing and reading
- Instruction promoting inquiry, collaboration and critical thinking
- Use of trained tutors
- Committed school and district resources for program costs and certifications
- Collaboration of active interdisciplinary site team
AVID Elementary Schools
- Cielo Vista Elementary
- Gates Elementary
- Glen Yermo Elementary
- Linda Vista Elementary
- Olivewood Elementary
- Santiago Elementary
- San Joaquin Elementary
AVID Intermediate Schools
- Los Alisos Intermediate School
- Serrano Intermediate School
AVID High Schools
- El Toro High School
- Mission Viejo High School